Prior to running your Rampage for the first time (or troubleshooting a staring problem), I suggest reading through this post AND watching both of the following videos at least once. These videos will walk you through the initial start procedure as well as give you tips on mixing fuel, what oil to use, how to tune your carb, how to break-in your engine and much more.
Part One: Initial start procedure
- Ensure your receiver battery and transmitter batteries are fully charged
- Put your Rampage on a block or brick to lift the wheels off of the ground
- Prime the engine by pumping the fuel bulb until fuel enters the bulb. Don't worry, you can't prime the bulb too much. This ensures fuel is reaching the carb
- Turn choke lever to vertical closed position
- Pull starter cord until the engine tries to start – you'll hear the engine try to fire. Then stop
- Return the choke lever to the horizontal or off position
- Pull starter cord again. The engine should start within the next few pulls
Do not turn the ‘choke on’ again and continue to pull – otherwise you may risk flooding the engine.
The above procedure is for a cold engine. Once the engine is warm (or in warm weather) – the choke should be left in the horizontal position (choke off), otherwise you may flood your engine.
For further information on how to start your Rampage, be sure to watch the videos below by OBR and HPI, they covers everything from battery charging, carb tuning, fuel mixture, and correct pull start technique
Advanced Tuning, Break-In and Start Procedure Video by OBR Racing
Basic "getting started video" by HPI Racing
Stay tuned for part 2 of the Rampage Troubleshooting Guide: Fuel